Fromester’s simple guide to avoiding ten of the most common computer pitfalls recently discovered in Frome, Somerset
- Don’t click on MacKeeper, MacBooster, MacEasyNow, Bleach My Mac, FreeVirusCheckForFools or adverts in web pages, emails or text messages. Do not install free/trial software. Avoid using email. Do not use Facebook. Read and understand at least one online service agreement from start to finish, cover all your webcams and microphones with electrical tape as required.
- Repeat 5 times.
Your Mac has been designed to function without requiring you to understand very much about how it works. We all need to learn a little about computers and how we interact with them. Easier than driving a combustion engine or speaking French, its about as difficult as riding a bike. Learn what to click on and what not to double-click with Fromester.
Top 5 Things You MUST do if you own a Mac
- Clean regularly. Use a damp (but not wet) cloth, shutdown and remove power lead when cleaning the keyboard, screen or around the USB ports. Don’t let water get in between the tiny gaps and don’t rub too hard.
- Back up your entire internal hard drive. This is not the same as storing your files in any sort of e, i or o cloud. Use Time Machine with an external USB hard drive twice the size of your computer’s hard drive. But don’t stop there, find out how to restore a file, folder or even everything in your file system.
- Print any photos you want to keep. Use Kodak photo paper or similar. Learn about other archive methods for long term digital storage and retrieval.
- Always use a reputable VPN on all your devices for computer security made easy.
- Call Fromester.